Freshman Friday: Zachary Xu

Zachary Xu is a freshman at Huron High School. Xu enjoys his engineering class and is looking forward to the end of the school year.

Courtesy of Xu

Maya Fu, Copy Editor

Q: Tell us a little bit about yourself and what hobbies/sports you do.

A: Hi! My name is Zachary, and I do crew, and also play piano and trombone.”

Q: How would you describe your transition from middle to high school?

A: It was fairly smooth. It did take a couple months to adjust, but after that, I think I was able to establish friend groups and feel like I belonged.”

Q: What class was the most interesting this year and why?

A: I really like the engineering class I take. It’s challenging and a lot of work at times, but it’s fun.”

Q: What are 3 words to describe your first year of high school so far and why did you choose them?

A: Stressful, exciting, and new. Everything in high school is basically like a combination of stress mixed with excitement. It always feels like there’s a new thing to experience.”

Q: How has high school surprised you so far? Were there any skills you had to learn to get work done or fit school into your schedule?

A: I had to learn time management skills. For the first time in my life, I experienced periods of time where I simply did not have time for practicing my instruments because of all my other activities.”

Q: How are you feeling about the end of the school year? 

A: I’m extremely excited. While I enjoy some aspects of school, I think the negatives outweigh the positives.”

Q: How do you want to remember your high school experience four years later? What are you doing now or how do you plan to make that happen? 

A: I want to remember the social aspect of high school, rather than the academic/competitive aspect of it. I plan on trying to not stress out so much, and realize that there are some things I can’t change.”