Freshman Friday: Sarah Xu

Xu having fun during Multi-Culti. Photo courtesy of Xu.

Q: Tell us a little bit about yourself and what hobbies/sports you do.

A: 1. My name is Sarah Xu and I am currently a freshman at Huron. I’m a dancer (part of the hip-hop branch in Huron’s APEX) and an avid reader/writer, as well as a volunteer at Huron Valley’s Humane Society.

Q: Out of all your extracurriculars, clubs, and sports, which one is your favorite and why?
A: I’d have to say my favorite is dance. I’ve been dancing for around eight years and it’s definitely one of my biggest passions, and I absolutely adore everything that comes with dance: the workshops, the performances, and most of all, the relationships.

Q: How are you liking your first year at Huron?
A: My first year at Huron has been pretty eventful; it took some time to get used to the workload and the amount of stress, but I’ve enjoyed building up a routine and meeting new people.

Q: What is your favorite class so far and why?
A: So far my favorite class is chemistry. Even though I’ve been known to relentlessly complain about some of the work, it’s probably one of the most interesting subjects I’ve ever taken and I think the labs are really fun.

Q: Who is one of your favorite teachers and why?
A: One of my favorite teachers is my choir teacher, Mr. Wattleworth. I don’t really like choosing favorites but Mr. Wattleworth is genuinely one of the best people I’ve ever met and he has never failed to make the surrounding community/environment feel comfortable. He’s a very patient and gentle person and it’s clear he sincerely cares about his students, which is rare.

Q: What is a class you want to take in the future and why?
A: A class I want to take in the future is the health sciences class. I’m interested about going into the health/medical field and I think taking that class would help me learn a lot and I would benefit greatly from it.

Q: What is something you weren’t expecting about high school?
A: Something I wasn’t expecting about high school was the mindset I would have; in middle school I would care about my grades but I wasn’t too worried about my future. Now that I’m in high school, I’m constantly worried about what my life is going to be like and all of the things I have to accomplish in order to get into a good college.

Q: What advice would you give about the first weeks of high school to incoming 8th graders?
A: A piece of advice I would give to incoming high schoolers is to just have fun and don’t get caught up in drama. Don’t stress about your future every five seconds like I do or else the mindset you acquire will destroy your mental health and just focus on building good relationships. As for the whole drama thing, don’t try being friends with everyone and hang out with only the people you love, because if you get involved in unnecessary things it’ll become incredibly messy and too much to handle.

Q: What is an interesting fact or hidden talent about yourself?
A: An interesting fact about me is that I’m a teacher for a nonprofit that teaches kids with special needs how to dance.

Q: What is a hot take of yours?
A: A hot take of mine is that chocolate ice cream is way better than vanilla ice cream.