Asian Pacific Islander Heritage Month Book Talks

APIA Heritage Month Book Talks flyer. Photo courtesy of AAPS.

As the month of April comes to a close, it comes the time for Asian Pacific Islander Heritage Month. This works to celebrate and pay tribute to the successes and contributions of Asian Americans or Pacific Islanders in the United States. To contribute to this initiative, the Asian Pacific Islander and South Asian American Parent Advisory Group has organized 3 virtual author talks, relating to the Asian American or Pacific Islander culture, for families and students of all ages in the AAPS community. 

Thien Pham

Friday, May 17

1-2 p.m.

Pham is an award-winning graphic novelist, comic artist, and highschool educator. His autobiographical book, Family Style: Memories of an American from Vietnam, surrounding his early-life experience as a Vietnam refugee in America, can be found in the Huron library.

Supriya Kelkar

Monday, May 20

10-10:45 a.m.

Kelkar is an award-winning author, who’s talk will entail a writing activity as well as a discussion of ways to make a story unique and personal to you. Some books she has written include American as Paneer Pie and And Yet You Shine: The Kohinoor Diamond, Colonization, and Resistance.

Kyunghee Kim

Wednesday, May 22

10- 10:30 a.m.

Kim is a local author, welcoming teachers, families, and elementary students to her Q&A session and reading of her book, See Us Bloom. See Us Bloom contains a collection of poems, inspiring children to explore their identities and learn to discover and love themselves. 

For more information, click here and to register click here.