School Board Updates: Huron teachers protest to safeguard teaching positions

Huron+teachers+line+up+at+the+Huron+driveway+before+class+on+April+15.+Photo+courtesy+of+Sara-Beth+Badalamente.+
Huron teachers line up at the Huron driveway before class on April 15. Photo courtesy of Sara-Beth Badalamente.

Several teachers stood in a line along the Huron driveway early this morning, holding signs urging the school board to prioritize education and safeguard teaching positions. The demonstration began today, April 15, at 7:30 a.m. and continued until the start of the first period. Supportive drivers honked as they passed by. 

The school’s board decision to cut $25 million from the 2024-2024 budget was first announced to the school community via email on Wednesday, March 13. Since then, the district’s financial circumstances have resulted in numerous board and community meetings, while sparking several teacher-led demonstrations. 

A recent Board of Education meeting held on Thursday, April 11 saw AAPS staff and community members holding a protest at the Earhart Road Building before the meeting chanting, “We are teachers, and we are not the problem.” 

Among the teachers at today’s demonstration was Kristi Shaffer, a Spanish teacher with over 20 years of teaching experience, holding a sign that read, “Prioritize non-personnel cuts.”

Teachers Kathryn Jones, Kelly Van Ee and Martha Hale protesting near the bus drive. Emily Hu

“Teachers came out today because we’re trying to stand together and let the community know that the board voted for a $25 million cut,” Shaffer said. “We want people to know when they cut teachers, they hurt students.”

Shaffer said she is disappointed in the board’s decision-making.

“We want the board to prioritize non-personnel cuts,” Shaffer said. “In other words, (the school board should) find creative ways to make cuts that don’t take teachers out of the classroom.” 

Beside her, German teacher Andy Smith held up another sign.

“All of us teachers, we text and communicate with each other,” Smith said. “We’re very concerned because the school board has done a lot of foolish things.”

Smith said the school board needs to start prioritizing students’ education.

”All the money in the school system is for students and improving education,” Smith said.  “So the money should go to books, pencils, and instead, they waste the money on other things.” 

Math teacher Sara Serfozo was standing further down the line with two signs.

“We want to save all of our co-workers’ jobs,” Serfozo said. “We want to support everyone in the Ann Arbor Public Schools. We’re doing this today so people come to the school community meeting tomorrow at 6:30 p.m.”

Serfozo also distributed flyers detailing information about the upcoming community meetings and ways to support AAPS teachers. 

Community meetings are scheduled as follows:

• Tuesday, April 16, at 6:30 p.m., at Huron High School for families and community members.
  • Wednesday, April 17, at Pioneer High School, meetings with AAPS staff will be held at 3:45 p.m. for Secondary staff and 5 p.m. for Elementary staff
  • Thursday, April 18, at 6:30 p.m. at Skyline High School for families and community members. 

The link to join is here

To show support, people can sign the teachers’ open letter at tinyurl.com/A2SupportsTeachers. As of April 15, the teachers’ open letter has attracted over 1,800 individual signatures.