Freshman Friday: Leaf Deam

Deam (left) and his friend Selah Ostfeld-Hernandez (right) taking a picture during their 8th grade graduation celebration at Scarlett middle school. Photo courtesy of Deam.

Q: Tell us a little bit about yourself and what hobbies/sports you do.

A: I’m on the rowing team, I do band, I play video games, and I also play piano.

Q: How would you describe your transition from middle to high school?

A: At first, it was kind of difficult because I’ve never taken the bus before in all of my school years. Also, a lot of new classes and new people.

Q: What class is the most interesting so far and why?

A: I think that health and history are the most interesting, mostly just because I really liked the teachers I have for them, but I also think that world history is kind of interesting.

Q: What are 3 words to describe your first months of high school and why?

A: Tiring, boring, and exciting. It’s tiring because the whole summer I’ve been sleeping in till 12 and now I need to get up at six. It’s boring just because a lot of the things that we’re learning about I’m not super interested in. I don’t really like math that much. Don’t really like science. It’s exciting because I’m doing rowing. That’s very fun, talking to new people, And the stuff coming.

Q: How has high school surprised you so far? Were there any skills you had to learn to get work done or fit school into your schedule?

A: So far, it kind of surprised me with all the homework because I didn’t really think that we would get that much homework but I’m actually getting quite a lot of it. Because of homework, I haven’t really had time to do much stuff after school because of rowing.

Q: How do you want to remember your high school experience four years later? What are you doing now or how do you plan to make that happen? 

A: I want to get good grades obviously, so I can go to a good college. I also want it to be fun. I don’t want to just spend the whole time studying and doing classwork and stuff. I want to hang out with my friends.