AAPS closes A2Steam for the day

Pixabay

AAPS closes A2Steam for the day due to staff shortage.

Ridhima L. Kodali, Managing Editor

This morning, at 7:15 a.m.,  it was announced A2Steam (K-8) school would be asynchronous for the day due to high levels of staff illnesses and the current staffing challenges throughout the Ann Arbor Public Schools district. 

Taking this step to remote learning with this school that is most critically impacted by staffing challenges will allow the AAPS to redeploy some substitute personnel to assist with the shortage of staff across other buildings and stretch the resources to help staff the remaining schools,” Superintendent Jeanice Swift wrote in a communication. 

More than 20 percent of positions at A2 Steam remained unfilled this morning and students were shared asynchronous lessons on Schoology or by email. 

AAPS previously had Burns Park and Pittsfield Elementary Schools temporarily pause learning for a week due to a rise in COVID-19 cases. On the other hand, Forsythe Middle School, Huron and Skyline High School had an asynchronous day due to staff shortages on Oct. 22. 

“We understand that there are times when it will be necessary for team members to access their leave time,” the communication reads. “This is particularly true during times of seasonal illness, as well as taking the necessary mitigation step of remaining home when one has symptoms.”

Swift writes that AAPS team members are working very hard during this time and the health and safety of students is their topmost priority.

Our students, teachers, school teams, parents and community are all working incredibly hard together, making sacrifices every day to sustain the opening of our schools this Fall,”  the communication reads. “We are making progress, despite some challenges.”