Pittsfield Elementary presses a temporary pause on in-person learning

Courtesy of Kelly Sikkema/Unsplash

The Pittsfield community was notified of temporrary school closure on Oct. 1.

Ridhima L. Kodali, Managing Editor

Pittsfield Elementary School pressed pause on in-person learning, amidst the 43 confirmed COVID-19 cases in Ann Arbor Public Elementary Schools so far. 

The Washtenaw County Health Department advised Pittsfield a five-day remote learning status, from today, Oct.4 through Friday, Oct. 8. Due to 30 percent of the student body being absent, and eight confirmed COVID-19 cases since Sept. 29. This is according to the email communication sent by Superintendent Jeanice Swift, Executive Community Division Director Jenna Bacolor and Pittsfield Principal Melita Alston. 

“Implementing a temporary pause on in-school gathering among our Pittsfield Elementary School community is a next step mitigation measure to stop the spread of COVID-19 and ensure a healthy and safe return to school,”  the email reads. 

These confirmed cases are related to community and family exposure and because of privacy regulations, information will not be shared about individual(s) who contracted COVID-19. 

During this five-day period, Rec and Ed day programs are cancelled and more information will be sent out, regarding food distribution and the remote learning plan. 

“We will continue to hold the health and safety of our students and staff, families and community as our highest priority,” the email stated. 

As of Sept. 24, AAPS maintains 94 percent of staff is vaccinated, according to Swift. 

Swift, Bacolor and Alston will continue to monitor COVID-19 cases and encourage the Pittsfield community to get a COVID test. 

“We look forward to seeing our students and staff back together at school on Monday, Oct. 11, 2021,” they wrote. 

For COVID-19 testing locationsvisit: https://www.washtenaw.org/3158/Testing