Burns Park Elementary School goes virtual due to rapid increase in COVID-19 Cases

Burns+Park+Elementary+School+is+the+third+AAPS+elementary+school+to+go+virtual+temporarily.+

Unsplash

Burns Park Elementary School is the third AAPS elementary school to go virtual temporarily.

Ridhima L. Kodali, Managing Editor

Yesterday, Oct. 12,  Jeanice K. Swift, Jenna Bacolor and Chuck Hatt notified the Burns Park community that the elementary school will be going virtual due to 20 COVID-19 cases in the past few days. 

“The investigation into potential school transmission is ongoing and is now led by the Washtenaw County Health Department,” the email reads.  “AAPS remains in close communication with the WCHD about Burns Park cases.”

The district leaders consulted the WCHD yesterday to figure out the next steps in order to stabilize cases and prevent any further community transmission. 

“While in-school gathering at Burns Park is on pause,” the email says. “We will continue to monitor confirmed cases of COVID-19.”

Five classrooms are in quarantine, in accordance with the WCHD guidance with the availability of remote learning as of yesterday.  The remainder of classrooms at Burns Park (some currently have one case) began remote learning with a classroom teacher today.

These following steps were based on  the confirmed cases, acceleration of cases over a five-day period, increase in student absences and pending COVID-19 tests.

We will continue to hold the health and safety of our students and staff, families and community as our highest priority,” Swift, Bacolor and Hatt write. “And we look forward to seeing our students and staff back together at Burns Park on Monday, Oct. 18, 2021, or over the following days.”