Huron HOSA competes at regionals and begin to prepare for states

Huron+HOSA+after+completing+regionals+and+moving+onto+states.+
Srinithya Chiravuri
Huron HOSA after completing regionals and moving onto states.

Huron HOSA (Health Occupations Students of America) just completed their Regional Conference centered around their medical events. With 49 out of 63 finalists from Huron, they’re getting ready for their states conference on April 18-19, 2023.

Freshman Sarah Xu talked about her event, “Cultural Diversities and Disparities”, where she had to compete in a written test and a tie-breaker essay question about cultural diversities and disparities in healthcare.
“To prepare for my event, I decided to read one of the books offered that gave an extremely good overview on what my event would be like,” Xu said. “I also took many notes, did practice problems, and had late night study sessions that eventually paid off, as I placed first in my event at this year’s HOSA regionals.”

Senior Sena Yoshida competed in the event “Medical Innovation” where she worked with seniors Anna Wyman and Srinithya Chiravuri. 

“​​My group and I created a medical innovation that did not exist! We created ‘Sole Serenity Slippers’ which helps people’s struggles with plantar fasciitis. Along with the innovation of shoes, we made a poster board to present to the judges,” Yoshida said. “Our performance at regionals went very well! We were very prepared and ended up getting first place!”

Freshman Anna He participated in the event “Health Informatics”, where she spoke about her experiences at the regional competition.

“Regionals was a really fun experience for me. It took place at Bedford High Schools. Everyone went to Bedford High School on Saturday together on the bus. Since all of the actual events are only a maximum of 90 minutes long, we spent most of the time hanging out in the lobby and talking to friends,” He said.“Afterwards, we had the awards ceremony where all the finalists were called up to receive medals. It was so exciting to clap for everyone when they were called up. I feel really happy and excited that I qualified for HOSA states next year.”

Sophomores Teiyu Kim and Averil Xu talk about how they felt during their event, Forensic Sciences. 

“We were pretty nervous going into the test and case study just because we didn’t really know how well we prepared in relativity to the other groups,” Kim said. “However, once we saw what we were actually being tested on, we started to feel a bit better, as there were lots of things that we recognized from our studying. It felt really good hearing the results of the event, mainly just because it felt nice knowing that our time spent studying didn’t go to waste.”