The Emery

The Emery

The Emery

The Latest from the Emery’s Twitter

School Board Updates: AAPS Board of Education names new trustee

Feaster+at+Board+of+Education+meeting.+
Anna Reid
Feaster at Board of Education meeting.

On Oct. 11, 2023, the Ann Arbor Public Schools Board of Education filled the vacant trustee position following Jacinda Townsend Gides’s leave. After winning the majority in the board members’ votes, Torchio Feaster was selected for this position out of the 10 total candidates. He will serve until Dec. 31, 2024, which is the expiration date of Townsend Gides’s term. 

Throughout his application, Feaster detailed his passion for developing and supporting the youth in his community. He described various events he has hosted, such as back-to-school drives, free haircuts for kids, career days, and mentorship events. He went on to explain the leadership and management skills he obtained after practicing law as a local attorney for 17 years. 

The Oct. 11 board meeting also consisted of interviews of each of the candidates. In Feaster’s interview, he described his inspiration for applying for the position through his personal experiences with racial discrimination throughout his childhood and education.

“My life has been about balance,” Feaster said. “Balancing the scales and making sure black and brown communities have the resources they need to prosper.” 

He also expanded on his overall mission and goal working on the board, specifically his focus on the next steps in the search for a new superintendent. 

“I will be looking for a candidate who understands the lack of equity in our community and has a plan to remedy those,” Feaster said.