The Emery

The Emery

The Emery

The Latest from the Emery’s Twitter

School Board Updates: Superintendent resigns: board votes in favor of separation agreement

Swift+at+the+school+board+meeting.+
Zain Charania
Swift at the school board meeting.

On Sept. 13, 2023 the Ann Arbor Public School’s school board of education passed a 5-2 vote to approve Superintendent Jeanice Swift’s resignation agreement. The meeting took place at the district’s Domino’s Farms Building, where the board decided to remove Swift from her position. 

“We all justifiably say we’re doing what’s best for kids,” trustee Jeff Gaynor said. “We may disagree on what that looks like.”

Swift will continue to work as superintendent until there is an interim or superintendent to take her place on Oct. 31, 2023. Additionally, Swift will serve as the “transition advisor” through Dec. 31, 2023, to the interim or permanent superintendent. 

Due to the influence of social media and the great amount of attention this situation has received, the ambiguity around the superintendent position has led to lots of attention from the Ann Arbor public schools community.

“We are a district with a dysfunctional, untrustworthy board that is creating chaos,” said Secretary Susan Ward Schmidt.

After Dec. 31, Swift will be served a $230,000 compensation for a 18 month salary.

“This board of education is ending a relationship with one of the best educational professionals that this community has ever seen,” trustee Susan Baskett said at the last board meeting. 

Baskett and Schmidt were the only members who voted against the motion.

Although Swift stayed relatively silent and commentless during this portion of the meeting, she sent an email saying her formal goodbyes on Sept. 15, 2023. 

“It has been my tremendous honor to serve as Superintendent of Schools in the Ann Arbor Public Schools over these previous ten years,” Swift said. “I will work diligently to support our students and staff, our families, schools and community, and the Board of Education through a successful transition process and in support of an incoming leader so that the significant work in progress may continue to move forward in the AAPS.”

Additionally, the school board notified staff, students, and families of this change through an email on Sept. 14, 2023.

“We would like to thank Dr.Swift for her work in leading the Ann Arbor Public Schools since 2013,” said the school board in an email to the district. “We look forward to working together as we transition to change the leadership in the district.”