Michigan Senate and House unite on bipartison sexual assault package

Larry Nassar, former USA Gymnastics doctor, sexually assaulted hundreds of young athletes under his care using medical pretenses. Graphic by Jamie Tang.

Michigan lawmakers are working together on a bipartisan sexual assault package following Larry Nassar’s death sentence.  This legislations aims to address sexual abuse issues and strengthen health care accountability. 

Larry Nessar, former USA Gymnastics doctor, sexually assaulted hundreds of young athletes under his care using medical pretenses. 

Michigan-born Olympic gold medalist Jordyn Wieber was one of the gymnasts who came forward with her experience at the 2018 sentencing hearing of Nassar in Lansing, Mi.

“Nobody was protecting us from being taken advantage of. Nobody was even concerned whether or not we were being sexually abused,” Wieber said in her statement. “I was not protected, and neither were my teammates.”

On April 19, 2023, the Senate Civil Rights, Judiciary, and Public Safety Committee unanimously approved the sexual assault package for a full Senate vote.

“The bills were developed with survivors and experts to help close gaps in the law,” said Sen. Stephanie Chang, lead sponsor of the package. “We know that when a survivor discloses what happens to them, how the person listening responds can make a giant difference in whether the survivor will seek help or report what happened to law enforcement. By ensuring young people receive this information in schools, we give them tools to find the support they need and be able to respond to their friends who disclose their experience.”

The Michigan Senate has also included bills in the package addressing accountability in healthcare. On May 4, 2023, the Michigan Senate passed Senate Bill 71, sponsored by Sen. Roger Hauck,  requiring medical professionals to retain patient’s records for medical services involving vaginal or anal penetration for at least 15 years. Other bills prohibit sexual abuse under the pretext of medical treatment and mandate age-appropriate educational materials on sexual assault, among other provisions. 

These bills build on previous legislative efforts that began after the details of Dr. Larry Nassar’s abuse came to light,” Sen. Roger Hauck told Michigan State Republicans. “The damage left by Dr. Nassar will forever be a stain on our state, and these bills, among other legislative efforts, seek to not only correct that but also make Michigan a national leader when it comes to protecting people from these heinous crimes.”

The legislative package almost unanimously passed the Michigan Senate on May 8, 2023. 

Huron High School students can access resources on sexual assault by reaching the school counseling office, according to guidance counselor Emily Mashal. 

“We offer as many resources as students need,” Mashal said. 

Alternatively, Huron High School students can join the Sexual Assault Awareness Club (SAAC) to raise public awareness about sexual assault.