The Emery

The Emery

The Emery

The Latest from the Emery’s Twitter

Five Ann Arbor Public School buildings will be closed Aug. 28 due to power outages

Power outages across Ann Arbor cause 5 AAPS schools to close Aug. 28.

BREAKING NEWS: Five Ann Arbor Public School Building will be closed tomorrow Aug. 28, 2023. At 5 p.m, Superintendent Jeanice Swift sent an email communicating to families that the following schools will be closed tomorrow, the first day of school, due to power outages across Ann Arbor:

Forsythe Middle School

Huron High School

Lakewood Elementary

Thurston Elementary

Wines Elementary

“Our school teams must have adequate time to prepare and restore classrooms for the arrival of students,” Swift said. 

Additionally, Huron administrators sent an email to the Huron community explaining the outage. 

We acknowledge that facing unexpected difficulties right at the start of the school year can be trying for both students and families,” the communication said. “We want to assure you that the well-being and safety of our students, staff, and families remain our top priority.” 

The communication from Swift reported the damage from the severe storm on Thursday night caused unsafe conditions to the community, making the schools, Forsythe and Wines taking greater damage, unable to open. 

“We deeply appreciate the efforts of the Ann Arbor Public Schools teachers and school teams, ITD, facilities, food and nutrition and many other team members who have continued working diligently through this weekend making every effort to reopen our schools as safely and as quickly as possible,” Swift said.