Teacher Tuesday: Waleed Samaha

Jenna Kieser

Ann Arbor Huron head coach Waleed Samaha coaches his team between quarters during the game against Ypsilanti Lincoln at the EMU Convocation Center on Tuesday, March 3, 2020.

Visruth Rajendiran, Staff Writer

Q: Tell us a little bit about yourself.

A: “I am in my 20th year on the Huron Staff.  I love being a part of this great school. I serve in a role that allows me to support as many people as possible each day.  I work closely with students, teachers, counselors, and our administration to support individual and school needs.  My primary role is to support students who experience emotional or social challenges in school. My goal is to teach them strategies to cope and to use pro-social problem-solving skills. I also work with teachers to help them connect more effectively with students. We work collaboratively to help students succeed in their class.  As part of the counseling and administration team, we work to address school-wide issues.”

Q: What has been your favorite part about this school year?

A: “There isn’t much to feel good about this year.  It’s been very challenging to do the things we want, need or like to do in the ways we are so used to doing them.  But learning new ways to stay connected and being able to help families has been one of the positive experiences so far.  Since we are all at home, working with parents has been a priority. Helping students cope with a new normal has been challenging but I am so impressed with the resilience our students are showing.”

Q: What do you miss about Huron?

A: “THE STUDENTS AND STAFF! The daily interactions that make each day unique and fill my life with joy.”

Q: What is one goal you have for this year?

A: “I hope when all the vaccines and protocols are implemented, we can find a way to get back in the building before the school year ends. Even if it’s on a limited basis, I would like to see us finish the school year in the building in June.”

Q: What hobbies/sports do you do?

A: “I coach basketball and football at Huron. This is a huge part of my experience and one that I believe allows me to connect even more with students. I hope we can safely return to sports this winter so our team can compete for a State Championship in basketball. Our football team had a great season, advancing in the playoffs and showing great competitive spirit all season long.  I also enjoy playing golf.  I’m not very good but I’m better than Coach Edmondson and that’s all that matters!!”