Teacher Tuesday: Andra Warsinske

Ridhima Kodali, Copy Editor

Q: What do you teach and why?

A: I teach Mathematics and Statistics.  I have always found Mathematics to be the most “fun” game to play with my mind.  The challenge of understanding concepts that can be extremely abstract fascinates me.  There is also a beauty to mathematics that I appreciate.  Mathematics is often described as the ”Queen of all Subjects.”  On the other hand, Statistics can be a very messy subject when you work with real data.  Part of Statistics is based on Mathematics and has the same beauty.  But the real work of Statistics is taking raw (messy) data and making decisions.  Statistics is the study of how to make decisions given uncertainty.  It is my true joy to share my love of Statistics with my students.  I know the understanding of Statistics will be helpful in whatever career choice my students will make.”

Q: Have you always been interested in teaching?

A: “I have always been interested in learning!!  I enjoy being a student.  Since it is hard to make a living being a perpetual student, I decided the next best job choice would be a teacher.  In the process of teaching, I have been able to continue to learn every single day. I am never bored!!  Working with high school students is a real gift in my life!

Q: Do you have any advice for incoming high school freshmen?

A: Welcome to Huron!!!  You are now a student at one of the most amazing high schools in this country!  I recommend freshmen participate in a couple of extra-curricular activities.  This school has activities for every interest possible.  Participation in activities will help you meet people who share the same interests as you.

Q: What/Who inspired you to become a teacher?

A:Dr. Jeanne Hutchison (Math Professor at the University of Alabama in Birmingham). Dr. Hutchison was my mentor teacher for my Masters in Mathematics.  She actually taught me four graduate level classes as independent study.  This was necessary because I was the only student interested in taking the classes.  She devoted two class periods a week to teach me these classes for more than a year.  Her devotion to her students and her love of mathematics was contagious.  Dr. Hutchison is in her 70s and still teaches at the University of Alabama in Birmingham.  She is known for very rigorous classes.

Q: What do you do in your free time?

A:One of my favorite past times is Jazzercise. I love the exercise as well as the camaraderie.  I have been Jazzercising for about 25 years.  I also enjoy reading, jigsaw puzzles, friends, and traveling to San Francisco to see my daughters!”

Q: Do you recommend students take AP Stats?

A: Absolutely Yes!!  The understanding of Statistics is crucial to a quality education.  Most aspects of our lives are influenced by statistics.  The Covid 19 Pandemic has been an AP Statistics class in action.  Everything from the discussion of controlled random experiments to analyze the efficacy of a vaccine to modeling the data for number of positive Covid 19 cases requires the knowledge presented in AP Statistics.  Also, Statistics is just a lot of fun! “

Q: What is your favorite teaching moment?   

A:“My favorite moments occur when I hear that tiny student voice say “OH!!!”  It tells me someone gained understanding at that moment.  I tell my students that little “OH!!” is worth a million dollars to a teacher.  I also enjoy hearing students say they have decided to major in a data related subject.  I realize they have been bitten by the “Statistics Curiosity Bug!”