Megamind vs. The Doom Syndicate: the disappointing sequel

Megamind+vs.+The+Doom+Syndicate+was+released+on+March+1st%2C+2024.+Photo+by+Indoor+Katusha+on+Printerval.+
Megamind vs. The Doom Syndicate was released on March 1st, 2024. Photo by Indoor Katusha on Printerval.

Megamind was one of my favorite movies as a kid. The idea of the biggest supervillain in Metro City defeating their long-time enemy and creating another one just for the fun of it amazed me, and the splendid visuals and animations added onto my love for it. When I heard that Megamind was getting a sequel after 14 years, I was excited to see Dreamworks create a sequel that’s just as good. However, that wasn’t the case.

The Plot: As Megamind assumes the new identity of Metro City’s Hero, he has to protect the city from his old crew, the Doom Syndicate. But wait, wasn’t a big part of Megamind 1 that he didn’t have friends aside from Minion? Additionally, Megamind is shown to act callous and selfish towards Minion, completely contradicting his character in the first movie. Even the gag of Megamind not understanding how to plug in a toaster doesn’t make sense. You would think he would be a master of technology after watching Megamind, but apparently not.

The Animation: Another big aspect of the first movie was the life shown through the animation. The attention to detail on every character and smooth character models made the movie feel like a passion project. When watching the trailer of the sequel, however, I had to watch it two more times to check if my eyes were deceiving me. Jagged movements, questionable lighting choices, and the insane number of camera switches makes the movie feel so fake

Personal Nitpicks: Why did the directors have to change Minion’s name to Old Chum. Sure, it shares the name of the yellow, capsule shaped, overalls-and-glasses wearing organisms called Minions, but you would assume that kids are able to tell the difference between a fish-controlled robot and a raging, incomprehensible creature. And of course they had to change the important main character’s name to a fish pun.

While I’m not saying that Megamind vs. The Doom Syndicate was a terrible watch, it certainly was disappointing compared to the well-known Dreamworks movie from 2010. Of course, you don’t have to agree with me, as these are just my opinions. 

Overall, this would be a 2.1/10 or 1 star review.