Starbucks releases 2023 fall drink menu

Starbucks released their fall drink menu on Aug. 24, 2023. Photo by Anjali Nadarajah

September 21; first official day of the fall season. But for the crunchy leaf, chilly weather, and the fleece-lined sweater lovers, it starts far earlier. For the pumpkin spice latte enthusiasts, it started on August 24, 2023; the day Starbucks released their exclusive fall drink menu.

Though temperatures in Michigan were nearing 90 degrees that day, fall fanatics lined up outside Starbucks’ across the US and Canada to get their first sip of pure autumnal bliss. 

This year, Starbucks came out with 5 drinks; 3 pumpkin flavored and 2 apple. Nearly every store sold out of them, I managed to get my hands on 3- the iconic Pumpkin Spice Latte, Apple Crisp Oatmilk Macchiato, and the Iced Pumpkin Cream Chai Tea Latte. 

To start, the Pumpkin Spice Latte was $5.95 for a Grande, which is their medium size. Its flavor profile was near perfection. Upon the first sip, you taste the pumpkin-cinnamon, before the slightly bitter espresso after-taste hits you. There wasn’t an overpowering sweetness, because the coffee offset the sugary taste. This classic drink is the perfect company for a crisp fall day. 

Speaking of crisp, the Apple Crisp Oatmilk Macchiato was certainly for an acquired taste. One I’m sure I do not have. It was also $5.95 for a Grande. When you first try it, you’re faced with a watery, oatmilk concoction. There’s hardly a coffee flavor or sweetness, but the little after-taste of apples there did not mix well with the already sub-par drink. I would not recommend this drink to anyone who doesn’t want their relationship with apples to be ruined. 

Finally, I got the Iced Pumpkin Cream Chai Tea Latte. For a $5.95 grande, this is the best drink on the fall menu. The chai flavor wasn’t too overpowering, and the pumpkin flavored cold foam gave it a rich, creamy, and sweet taste. The chai balanced the sugary, fluffy foam to create the flawless latte it is. 

Overall, I was mostly satisfied with the Starbucks 2023 fall drink menu. I would highly recommend trying a few yourself, especially the Iced Pumpkin Cream Chai Tea Latte.