Teacher Tuesday: Eric Geiger

Geiger previously worked in Redford Charter Township, and is now coming to Ann Arbor.

Visruth Rajendiran, Staff Writer

Q: Tell us a little bit about yourself.

A: I grew up in Livonia where I went to Franklin High School. I have one younger sister who was still in school while I was subbing; make for an awkward time. This is my first year at Huron, before here, I worked at Redford Union High School in Redford, MI for seven years. Before that, I attended Central Michigan University where I got my bachelor’s in Mathematics and Physics and while teaching I earned my Master’s in General Mathematics.

Q: What has been your favorite part about this school year?

A: It’s forced me (and all the teachers) to adapt to what will work and it’s cool to see all the new ways we can try to integrate technology into the classroom.

Q: What do you miss about Huron?

A: Interacting with teachers and students is just not the same to talk to people through Zoom sometimes not even seeing their faces. It’ll be very interesting to finally meet a lot of people face-to-face when we come back!

Q: What is one goal you have for this year?

A: Getting better at keeping in touch with friends and family that I haven’t seen in a while. I tend to just wait for others to reach out to me to check in and see how everything is going, but I want to start taking that first step more often.

Q: What is your favorite class and why?

A: I enjoyed teaching a financial algebra class at my previous school. It was both information that I wish I knew when I graduated from high school (mortgages, investing, balancing a checkbook, etc.) and a chance to answer the question all math teachers dread: “When am I going to use this in real life?

Q: What hobbies/sports do you do?

A: I’m big into fitness and running which I’ve done since I graduated college. I play tennis and coached it while at Redford Union.  I like to play a bunch of musical instruments. My main instrument is the guitar which I’ve played since I was 14, but I still try to play the saxophone, which I’ve done since middle school. Once I bought my house, I also really got into woodworking and building things. My latest projects were wheeled storage cabinets and a new shop workbench.