Huron beats Saline 56-47, moving onto round two of districts

Manit Patel, Staff Writer

Manit Patel
Junior Julian Lewis prepares to shoot a free throw, which would prove to be crucial in the Rats effort to close out Saline in the first round of Districts.

The first round of districts began last night. Saline and Huron tipped off in the first game at the 5:30 p.m. time slot, with the River Rats being ranked fifth in the state and coming fresh off of a  huge win against Ypsilanti Lincoln and sophomore star Emoni Bates. This game was considered a revenge game as the Hornets ended Huron’s season last year in the first round of districts. Throughout the first half of the game the Rats showed some slow signs of growth and entered halftime with a 23 to 20 deficit. Saline then started out the second half with momentum, and ended up taking a 27 to 20 lead. After a controversial call gave Junior Kingsley Perkins his fourth foul, Coach Samaha put Junior Brandon Rawls into the lineup. He sparked a Huron team that needed some momentum. From there on it was all Huron. They played a strong all-around game defensively and offensively, and didn’t let Saline sniff the lead following their run to begin the second half. Led by the junior trio of Devin Womack, Julian Lewis, and Rawls, they went on a run that absolutely decimated Saline’s hopes. The energy offensively and defensively was typified by plays like the huge block from Rawls on Saline’s Griffin Yaklich, and a work of art Euro-Step layup from Lewis.  The Rats will look to continue their season with their quest for the Breslin Center and their goal of a district title when they play Belleville High School at the EMU Convocation Center tomorrow at 5:30 p.m.