The Emery

The Emery

The Emery

The Latest from the Emery’s Twitter

Siblings by chance, friends by choice

Ella Yip

From the earliest memories of my childhood to the complexities of high school, one constant has shaped my life profoundly: my older sister. She isn’t just a sibling; she’s a guide, a mentor, a partner-in-crime, and my best friend.

Growing up, my sister was my beacon of wisdom in a world full of uncertainties. In the thick of my struggles with endless IXL math problems, she would sit beside me, patiently explaining each step. One evening, I was particularly frustrated and ready to give up, but she suggested a break. With a playful glint in her eye, she put on the song “Rasputin” and started dancing. Despite my initial reluctance, her infectious enthusiasm drew me in. Soon enough, we were both laughing and dancing around the room. This unexpected dance break not only lifted my spirits but also renewed my determination. It was moments like these that made me realize her unwavering support went beyond just academic help.

Being the younger child in the family, I never had to deal with the issues she faced. While she navigated the choppy waters of adolescence, I watched from the sidelines, often feeling a mix of admiration and relief. It wasn’t until later, as we both grew older, that I began to appreciate the depth of her struggles and the strength it took to overcome them.

One of the most remarkable qualities about my sister is her unwavering belief in me, even when I doubted myself. When I was applying for the school play, I wasn’t confident in myself and was terrified of auditioning for the lead role. I doubted my talent and was ready to back out. But my sister wouldn’t hear of it. She spent hours rehearsing lines with me, offering constructive feedback and constant encouragement. Her faith in me gave me the confidence to step out of my comfort zone and embrace new challenges, knowing that she had my back no matter what.

Beyond the practicalities of life, my sister has also been my source of joy and laughter. Our shared memories, from silly inside jokes to late-night conversations that stretched into the early hours of the morning, are treasures I hold dear. Even in the midst of life’s trials, she has a talent for finding humor and bringing lightness to any situation.

As I reflect on the role my sister has played in shaping the person I am today, I am filled with a profound sense of gratitude. She has been the Sherlock to my Watson, the Batman to my Robin, the Mario to my Luigi.  Together, we’ve shared laughter, tears, and countless unforgettable moments. In her strength, wisdom, and unwavering support, I find both sanctuary and inspiration. So, to my sister, my confidante, my partner-in-crime, I offer my deepest thanks.