Huron HOSA competes at state competition

Huron+HOSA+posing+after+regionals%2C+hosted+at+Pioneer+High+School.+Photo+courtesy+of+Claire+Wang.+
Huron HOSA posing after regionals, hosted at Pioneer High School. Photo courtesy of Claire Wang.

On April 18-19, Huron’s HOSA – Future Health Professionals of America – attended the Michigan State Competition at the Grand Traverse Resort and Spa in Acme, Mich. HOSA is an international student organization for students with a passion or interest in Health Science careers, dedicated to improving health care for the future generation. 

“I joined HOSA because I was interested in exploring potential careers/topics in the health sciences field,” junior Claire Wang said. “A lot of people have familial connections to health sciences, but I don’t and HOSA was sort of my way of still trying to gain exposure to the field.” 

The state competition consisted of various competitive events related to veterinary science, health careers, medical law, and more, involving an assessment of knowledge in the form of a test, presentation, or a combination of both. 

“States was really eventful and it was definitely a rollercoaster, but it was fun as well,” HOSA Vice President junior Grace Yang said. “Seeing everyone work hard, have a lot of fun at the same time, and getting to meet interesting new people will make it something I’ll probably never forget.”

Some of the huge successes of the event included Freshman Anna He placing 1st in Health Informatics, junior Tom Tan placing 2nd in Health Informatics, and Junior Claire Wang placing 2nd in Behavioral Health. Additionally, HOSA’s Vice President, Junior Grace Yang, was elected as Region 3 State Officer.  

“I’ve always looked up to the former state officers I’ve met and everyone on HOSA administration is incredibly thoughtful as well,” Yang said. “It’s such an honor to even be there and getting to work with other dedicated and hard-working people to improve HOSA for everyone is something I’m looking forward to next year.”