Neutral Zone: for teens, by teens

Photo by Isha Savi
Neutral Zone is located at 310 E Washington St, Ann Arbor, MI 48104

Created to be a creative space for teens almost 30 years ago, Neutral Zone has grown into a powerful community for teens, by teens. Program advisor Trevor Stone has worked at NZ since 2004 and currently runs the NZ Visual Arts Department. He believes that NZ’s purpose is to be of service to the teen community in the Ann Arbor area.

“This is a teen-run space,” Stone said. “That means that all the teens here are effectively my boss.” 

NZ has several programs including visual arts, music (production, promotion, and songwriting), activism, etc. The programs as well as the space and its utilities can be used for free by anyone who drops in.

“I think there’s a beauty to the random days,” said Stone “Like two weeks ago some kid walked in with a guitar and said ‘Can I plug in this speaker?’. We said ‘yes’, and he was walking around the venue, shredding his guitar. I was like, ‘Oh this is beautiful’.”

NZ prioritizes both creativity and leadership, which is displayed in how the space is run. NZ provides teens with resources to foster their interests as well as create opportunities for themselves. For example, all NZ events (concerts, art shows, etc.) are completely planned and run by the teens.

“Some teens walk in looking for leadership experience,” said Stone. “Somebody came to me and said ‘I want to learn how to hang an art show’. Ok, no problem; I’m going to train them to the point where they can train other people.” 

The teen-led way in which NZ functions allows its members to create opportunities for themselves that wouldn’t be possible otherwise–members in the past who have worked in NZ events have gotten job opportunities because of their experience working events.

Its purpose of being of service to the teen community not only covers opportunities but also making sure that its members are OK. NZ provides food on a daily basis and delivers food to those who need it during breaks. As well as this, NZ has direct contact with people who can provide support with issues concerning mental health, allowing members to get the help they need.

“That backroom right there is all food,” said Stone, pointing at a large room near the main stage. “We have these personal relationships with all these humans over weeks, over the years sometimes. We just see what you need, we’ll check in.”

NZ fosters an environment where everyone who takes part is supported and cared for. The flexible way it is run personally feels like a breath of fresh air compared to the rigid structure of other spaces. Bringing teens together and allowing them to be as creative as they please while also making them feel safe is what makes NZ so special–it’s what makes the years-long connections possible.

“Teens come for the programs,” Stone said “They stay for the relationships.”