Freshman Friday: Liya Zhang

Zhang+on+a+trip+to+LA.+Photo+courtesy+of+Zhang.+
Zhang on a trip to LA. Photo courtesy of Zhang.

Q: Tell us a little bit about yourself and what hobbies/sports you do.

A:  Hi, I’m Liya Zhang and I’m a freshman at Huron High School! I participate in after-school clubs which include mock trial, HOSA, and GIDAS. I play the flute as well.

Q: How would you describe your transition from middle to high school?

A: The transition from middle to high school was relatively easy for me. Although the environment in high school is completely different from middle school, it wasn’t hard to adapt. In high school there is definitely more workload but there’s also so many more opportunities and experiences available for everyone. 

Q: What class is the most interesting so far and why?

A:  I think biology is the most interesting course so far because the content that is taught relates to my interests. I also have friends in that class which makes it even more enjoyable.

Q: What are 3 words to describe your first months of high school and why?

A:  Lively, complex, engaging. 

Q: How has high school surprised you so far? Were there any skills you had to learn to get work done or fit school into your schedule?

A:  There’s homework from almost every class I have which was surprising. In order to be successful at school, I had to learn to efficiently finish my work in class or productively prioritize my work at home. 

Q: How do you want to remember your high school experience four years later? What are you doing now or how do you plan to make that happen? 

A: Four years later, I want to leave high school with amazing memories and pride in the accomplishments I have achieved. Right now, it’s become my goal to just live the best high school experience with friends and family.