The Emery

The Emery

The Emery

The Latest from the Emery’s Twitter

Natanael Cano: finding music in Mexican traditions

Mori Escobar
Venegas-Gonzalez displaying the lyrics of “Arriba” by Natael Cano.

Musician Natanael Cano’s musical career began in 2018 when he released his debut single “Culiacan Vs. Mazatlan,” which quickly became a hit in Mexico and the United States. 

Cano was born in Hermosillo, Mexico, and even as a child, he showed off his talent at family events and parties or wherever he was invited. He completed his early schooling at a local high school. After that, he enrolled  at a local college in Mexico, where he completed his education. From the very beginning of his childhood, he was more interested in singing and various extracurricular activities rather than in studying. 

Cano grew up listening to performances by regional Mexican artists Gerardo Ortiz and Ariel Camacho and is best known for his creation of Corridos Tumbados, which are inspired by the traditional songs of Mexico. Corridos Tumbados is a combination of trap music and American hip-hop.  He is one of the first singers of Corridos Tumbados and pushed the genre into the spotlight. Many consider him to be the king of Corridos Tumbados for his breathtaking interpretation of this subgenre of Mexican regional music.  

Traditional Corridos have consisted of daily tragedies, conflicts and even stories about crime with the sub genres like narcorridos, and lumbre corridos. Before his album, A Mis 20, he stemmed away from his origins and mostly focused on trap corridos, like in his albums Las Torres 3, Soy El Nata, and Trap Tumbado. But he decided to focus more on doing Corridos Tumbados, stating that it’s his main focus right now. 

His music isn’t the only thing that draws in listeners, though. His appearance and vibrant personality have made him a worldwide sensation.