Freshman Friday: Karma Ismail

Ismail with a friend at homecoming. Photo courtesy of Ismail.

Q: Tell us a little bit about yourself and what hobbies/sports you do.

A: I love reading, watching movies and spending time with family and friends.

Q: How would you describe your transition from middle to high school?

A: Because a lot of kids from my middle school are also at Huron, I feel like my social life hasn’t drastically changed. What is a lot different from middle school is how huge and busy the building is, which can make getting around the school much harder, and can definitely get overwhelming. 

Q: What class is the most interesting so far and why?

A: My favorite class might be health, because everyone I sit with in that class is so fun to be around.  The subject definitely isn’t my favorite though. 

Q: What are 3 words to describe your first months of high school and why?

A:  Fun, because I’ve made so many new friends.  Challenging, as the workload can get overwhelming sometimes.  Intense, as sometimes it feels like there’s too much to catch up with. 

Q: How has high school surprised you so far? Were there any skills you had to learn to get work done or fit school into your schedule?

A:  High school can definitely be overwhelming as there’s so many things that need to be done in very short amounts of time. Something that has helped me to catch up with everything is a to-do list.  I use a digital one and it’s main purpose is to remind me of things I need to do that maybe I would forget otherwise. 

Q: How do you want to remember your high school experience four years later? What are you doing now or how do you plan to make that happen? 

A: I want the things I do in these four years of high school to help me later on in my future, specifically in college. Getting good grades, extra curricular activities, volunteering, and internships, all can definitely help get me there.