AAPS requires masks for the first two weeks after winter break

Sara-Beth Badalamente

Through Jan. 9-20, AAPS is requiring masks for students, staff, and visitors.

Anna Esper, Website Editor-In-Chief

Starting tomorrow, Jan. 9, mask-wearing will be required indoors at all Ann Arbor Public Schools. Superintendent Jeanice Swift made the announcement via email at 11 a.m. on Jan. 8. The requirement will be in effect until Jan. 20. This includes students, staff, and visitors for the two weeks following winter break. 

“During this time of return from travel and social activities, the requirement of masks while indoors at school is a measure to reduce the spread of respiratory illnesses and related absenteeism and to prioritize health and in-school learning, particularly at this transition time following the winter break,” Swift wrote. “We all understand the critical importance of our students and staff being present for in-school learning on every day possible.”

AAPS will have extra masks available for staff and students in need. 

The email also gave information on what to do if students become sick. The district is requiring masking to prevent the spread of respiratory illnesses like COVID, RSV, and Influenza. 

“As we return to school in this new year 2023, we will continue to closely monitor absence levels and illness each day, and remain in close communication about next steps,” Swift wrote.