Have you ever thought about where your trash goes?

Student+picks+up+trash+by+the+riverbank+stadium+at+Huron+High+School.+

Courtesy of Sara-Beth Badalamente

Student picks up trash by the riverbank stadium at Huron High School.

Mya Georgiadis, Staff Writer

Have you ever thought about where your trash goes? When I am forced to think about how much trash I waste on a daily basis, it blows my mind. We have a problem with pollution here at Huron High school. On a daily basis, I see trash throughout the hallways, bathrooms, football fields, soccer fields, and cafeteria.

The effects of pollution can affect the environment by disrupting the natural equilibrium of an environment causing trash and chemical pollutants to affect natural growth. After seeing how much trash was in the senior dirt lot after school on September 22, I was disappointed in my fellow classmates. I tried to pick up as much trash as I could but so much was blowing away into the woods neighboring Huron High school. All I could think about was Huron’s ecological footprint on our community.

“Students need to begin taking ownership and become stewards of our school community.  We have nearly 1700 students.  If we mobilize our community we can reverse this trend. When the entire school is kept clean, everyone will experience a stronger shared sense of school pride,” said Principal Ché Carter said.

A week after interviewing Carter I immediately noticed the changes within Huron. The trash around the school was being picked up. The senior lot was being cleaned of all trash and food left in it. Almost everywhere that I’d named was being cleaned. I couldn’t have been happier with  the outcome. This just proved that my voice matters, and so will yours.

It is evident that change is here. There is so much that needs to be done when it comes to solving our problems of pollution within our own community. First, is taking accountability for your actions. Do not throw your trash on the ground and litter, instead hold onto it until you find a trashcan to properly dispose of your trash in.

“I ask what WE, the school community, are willing to do?” Carter asked. “Take action now.  This is a “We” issue not a “me” issue.  Students do not need permission to keep the campus clean.”

As a school we are all responsible for each other. When you see someone littering or not picking up after themselves, say something. Be the change you want to be. Nobody wants to walk into school with trash blowing past your face. It is important that we pride ourselves on responsibility, we are highschoolers, and we should know how to pick up after ourselves.

“It’s so sad seeing how many people don’t care about putting trash in the trash can, it’s evident that we have a problem here at Huron. It all comes down to who wants to be the change, “ Leela Raghavendran said.

I believe that everyone should try to be the change at Huron High School. We should focus on our ecological footprint we have not only in our everyday lives but in our community at school as well. We need to treat our school as if it was our home- Because the change is here, and it’s not waiting on anyone. Either you become part of the change or you’ll be left in the trash.