Just keep swimming

Junior+Annaliese+Streeter+comes+up+for+a+breath+before+swimming+back+down.+

Pasi Kaipainen

Junior Annaliese Streeter comes up for a breath before swimming back down.

Julie Park, Guest Writer

Swimming since she was six years old, junior Annaliese Streeter is making school history. Streeter is one of the leading swimmers on Huron’s swim and dive team. Last weekend at State Championships, she broke Huron’s 41-year-old varsity record for the 100-yard breaststroke.

Way back in 1978, the 100-yard breaststroke varsity record was set by high schooler Judi Richardson. She swam the race with a time of 1:05.05. Since then, Richardson’s name has been locked on the record board until Streeter joined the team during her freshman year. 

“As a freshman, my top goal was to get the record before my senior year,” Streeter said. “I knew I would be able to. I just didn’t know when.”

Streeter was unable to beat the record her first two seasons, but she entered her junior year with confidence that this was the year. Throughout the season, her time inched as close as half a second from the record.  

She qualified to State Championships which was held in Holland Michigan from Nov. 22 to Nov. 23. At preliminaries, her 200-yard medley relay missed the cut for the finals, and she gained time in her 100-yard breaststroke. 

“After my prelims swim, I was a little stressed out, but I knew I needed to keep going and just not worry about my times,” Streeter said. “I either got the record at finals, or I would have had to wait till next season,” Streeter said. 

Despite unsatisfactory prelim results, Streeter came back strong the next day. She swam the fastest 100-yard breaststroke race in career for a 1:04.71 setting the new 100-yard breaststroke varsity record.

“I was so excited, and it was a big relief since I’ve been going for it for three years,” Streeter said. 

Streeter has accomplished her highest highschool swimming goal, but she isn’t done quite yet. For her senior season, she aims to break the 50-yard freestyle varsity record and break her own 100-yard breaststroke record. 

Swimming in college is also on Streeter’s agenda. She is unsure about which university she wants to attend, but she is looking in the midwest and east coast. When she does go off to college, her legacy will remain on the record board at Huron.  Maybe even for 41 years.