The Emery

The Emery

The Emery

The Latest from the Emery’s Twitter

Sophomore Saturday: Hannah Nixon

Hannah Nixon posing for a picture at the beach. Photo courtesy of Nixon

Q: Tell us a little bit about yourself and things you do in and out of school.
A: Hi, I’m Hannah Nixon. You can usually find me running around and setting up school activities. I founded the 2026 executive board and I also coach the elementary school science olympiad. I am also a part of Hosa and ISA, where I show off my medical skills and my dance. When I am not busy with my extracurriculars, to relax I like to watch tik toks and go on drives with my friends.

Q: What was your favorite Huron event from last year, and what did you like about it?
A: My favorite event from last year was definitely Multi-Culti day. I was a part of the ISA dance and it was so fun. Performing for the whole school was such a core memory as I got to show off a different talent of mine and feel uplifted by the school.

Q: What is your favorite class at Huron and what do you like about it?
A: My Favorite class at Huron has definitely been Biology. I really liked the content and hope to one d ay go into a field like that.

Q: What is a class you want to take in the future, and why does it interest you?
A: I really want to take Health Science class at Huron. In the future I plan on going into Nursing and the Health Science program that gives me a PCT certification is definitely going to be helpful. Right after highschool I can automatically go to be a Patient Care tech and jumpstart my career. I’m definitely excited to take a class I’m actually going to be really interested in.

Q: Who is one of your favorite teachers at Huron and why?
A: I have so many! But If i had to choose a teacher that really inspired it had to be Ms.Nalepa. Ms.Nalepa, made me love Biology and made me love to learn. I loved her teaching style and she was also so nice.

Q: What are your thoughts about personal project? What were some challenges you had to face? What did you work on?
A: I think the idea of having the freedom to explore topics of interest made the class so interesting. I got to talk to new people and explore different places which is something I’ve never had to do for a class. I made a lot of friends and definitely had a lot of fun.

Q: What is your favorite memory from last year and why?
A: My favorite memory from last year was being a part of the One acts for the Huron players. I loved rekindling an old talent that I had but with new people. The excitement of being in play and high school was a feeling I will never forget.

Q: If you could change one thing from your freshman self, what would it be?
A: If I could change one thing about my freshman year self it would definitely be to not follow the crowd but pave my own path. Freshman year I was scared to try new things, and always followed what others did for comfort, instead broadening out and stepping out of my comfort zone.

Q: What is something you weren’t expecting about sophomore year?
A: Definitely the workload. Freshman year, the workload wasn’t bad at all but when Sophomore year came it hit me really hard. I had to learn different study techniques and how to manage my time better being piled with so much more work.

Q: What is an interesting fact or hidden talent about yourself?
A: I think something interesting a lot of people don’t know about me is that I really like to dance. I wasn’t really into dancing in middle school but after joining Hurons ISA I have learned to love my cultures dances. I have even started teaching Indian style dance to others.

Q: What is a hot take of yours?
A: Nike Dunks are way too overhyped