The Emery

The Emery

The Emery

The Latest from the Emery’s Twitter

*Opinion: BOE’s staff cuts from a student’s persepective

Satvika Ramanathan
Student holds a sign at the rally prior to 5/13 meeting.

The AAPS Board of Education has continually let down the district.

On Wednesday, May 15, at 1:30 p.m., nine elementary language teachers were informed of superintendent Jazz Park’s proposal to cut the World Language program at an elementary school level.  Considering that AAPS prides itself on being equitable and caring about inclusion, this decision was shocking. Language is one of the most important aspects of the equitability that we should be striving for, and the fact that it is the first to go speaks volumes. 

At the meeting later that evening, the board proposed a reduction in the number of co-teachers in Band and Orchestra classes that are “far below” the maximum class size of 100 at middle and high school levels. Since this announcement, Huron Bands have been collecting testimonies to send along with a letter to Superintendent Parks and other board members. The letter states “Please let us keep our music teachers. They are essential. We need them. ” 

Throughout this situation, a theme of the board saying they care about the well-being of students and then making decisions that inevitably hurt us has shown up often. Their obvious disengagement with the community compounded with their performative words of support has been infuriating to witness. You cannot claim to care about equity when you have proposed to cut one of the district’s most equitable programs. You cannot claim to care about students when you are taking away the educators and staff members who actually do. 

Another theme that has been prevalent throughout this situation has been the focus on reduction rather than revenue, meaning that all of the solutions the board has proposed have centered around making cuts as quickly as possible rather than finding ways to bring money in over time.  The proposed reductions will cut 6 percent of AAPS teaching staff which is 94 teachers total. To reduce staff more productively, the AAEA collaborated with the BOE to enact a Voluntary Severance Policy, meaning that staff members who send a notice of resignation or retirement by June 1 will receive a certain amount of compensation. While reducing staff this way adds more cushioning for staff members in comparison to pink slips, it still focuses on making cuts rather than bringing money in. 

Toward the end of the meeting, the board presented a single slide containing a three bullet-pointed plan to bring in money. This plan included the potential sale of the Balas Administration Building and “advocating for sufficient school funding.” I found myself wondering why their efforts from the very beginning went straight to making cuts rather than generating revenue–teachers are not the issue and they do not deserve to have their livelihoods at stake because of mistakes that did not involve them.  It’s so easy to cut programs and staff then quickly wipe the problem off of your hands, but it takes something to find ways to heal and strengthen the district comprehensively–something the board does not have.

Throughout this meeting and the ones I have attended prior, I have had to witness some of the most hardworking, kind people I have met in my life filled with anger and sadness. Teachers, parents, and students alike are scared for their futures.  I have heard it in their voices and seen it in their eyes—it is heartbreaking, to say the least. My fear is this anger, sadness, and fear will persist for so much longer than necessary. I urge the board to consider their effect on the AAPS community as a whole. The measures being taken may fix the overwhelming issue of the deficit quickly, but they will impact students, teachers, and parents for years to come.