The Emery

The Emery

The Emery

The Latest from the Emery’s Twitter

First love, openness, trust: Heartstopper

Heartstopper began as a graphic novel series written and illustrated by Alice Oseman, and was turned into a TV series in 2022, directed by Euros Lyn and Andy Newbery. Photo courtesy of Creative Commons.

As the first notes of “Shatter” by Maggie Rogers hits the viewers immediately, throwing us into the world of Nick Nelson and Charlie Spring. We can’t help but smile, as the two school boys see each other for the first time all season. Everything is light, like the colorful pastel cartoon leaves that fill the screen. We are back in Truham School as if the two years wait after season one never even happened. 

“Heartstopper” is a story of falling in love with someone for the first time in high school, with all of the fear, awkwardness, trust, and everything in between. But what this show does differently is the transparency of what it is like to question your sexuality, and how it changes so many people’s lives. 

Season Two starts right after Nick, Kit Connor, comes out of his mom, Olivia Colman, as Bisexual. Although Nick is not out to his friends or rest of his family yet, you are forced to be connected to him. 

My favorite thing about this show is the way we are forced to connect and care about every character. With the cast being almost all queer, each 30 minute episode shows the connection that each cast member has for their character. 

The show is incredibly open. Each episode and each character struggles with a different real world issue. 

We watch Charlie, Joe Locke, struggle to go to school after being outed, in season one, but in season two we get to watch him grow with the help from his friends and teachers. 

We are also introduced to Charlie’s struggle with an eating disorder. Throughout the 

episodes, we watch the extreme vulnerability of telling your loved ones you are struggling, and how hard it is when asking for help. 

By showing hard subjects in a teen show that’s acted by teens, viewers are able to see themselves represented. That is the most special thing about this series. Whatever you are going through, you have at least one character that you can see yourself as. No matter who you are, Heartstopper is for you.