Boys Varsity Water Polo: feared opponents

Player+Graham+Baker+during+the+Huron+Vs.+Dexter+home+game+on+October+12th.+
Justin Latham
Player Graham Baker during the Huron Vs. Dexter home game on October 12th.

The Huron boys varsity water polo team has seen success in the 2023 season. 

The River Rats have a record of 13-16 so far in the season against in-state opponents. The team has struggled with many illnesses occurring throughout the season. Captain Graham Baker, a key player, fell ill but stayed to assist in coaching the team during practices and games.

“A memorable moment was when I scored a buzzer beater at the end of the game against East Grand Rapids High School, which was really exciting,” Kal Bunnell, a member of the Huron boys varsity water polo team, said.

Bunnell enjoys playing defensive positions the most, because he is very good at defense and finds it fun when he shuts someone down.

“I love how water polo is a combination of sports that I enjoy, like swimming, which I’ve done my whole life. It’s also like sports like soccer and basketball, which I like,” Bunnell said. ”So it was all kind of a merge between all the sports, and that’s what got me into it.”

Huron takes on Dexter High School on Saturday morning, October 21st. This is a big game for the River Rats, as it is a district game. They aim to catch the win and advance higher up in district standings. Currently, they are second seed in the district standings with a 3-1 district record. The team’s determination and Bunnell’s ability to shut down opponents makes Huron a feared opponent in the upcoming matches.