Senior Sunday: Melanie Avila

Avila+at+Punta+Canal+in+the+Dominican+Republic.+Photo+courtesy+of+Avila.+
Avila at Punta Canal in the Dominican Republic. Photo courtesy of Avila.

Q: Tell us a little bit about yourself and what hobbies/sports you do.

I’m a huge indie music fan. I love Eliott Smith and recently took on learning the guitar to be able to play some songs. As such, I also enjoy reading classic literature and just hanging out with my friends. 

Q: What is one class/club you would recommend to underclassmen? Why?

I remember taking DP Language and Literature. Not only does the class have an incredible teacher, but also the material is extremely interesting. I felt as though my English comprehension skills really improved as a result of the class, and it was overall a nice experience. We were all just a big family. 

Q: How are you feeling about graduating this year?

I’m so excited to graduate. Growing up I used to see these Disney movies that always had high schoolers graduating and having fun, and now I feel as though it’s my turn. I’m really looking forward to walking the stage. 

Q: Ten years from now, what is one high school memory you will still remember?

I will always remember getting together with my closest friends during the summer and making senior boxes. We had so much fun, ate the yummiest food and really went all out on them. We want to make our senior year as memorable as possible. 

Q: What is one piece of advice you would give to your freshman self?

Get your required courses out the way immediately! As a senior, I still need to take art classes in order to graduate. I wish I took all my required classes from the start. 

Q: What will you miss most about high school?

I’ll miss the schedule and structure of high school. I love being able to go to the same classes, and carry out the same routine. College schedules are all over the place.