Beabadoobee releases her first single off of new album “This Is How Tomorrow Moves”

Photo Credit: Album Cover “This Is How Tomorrow Moves”

Take A Bite,” by singer-songwriter beabadoobee released earlier today and is the first single off of her upcoming album “This Is How Tomorrow Moves.” The song is a big leap from the sound of her debut album “Fake It Flowers”; a sound which she has been growing out of in recent years. “Take A Bite” takes on a more mature and self-assured sound with softer instrumentals reminiscent of ‘90s folk rock. 

“I feel like it’s helped me so much more than anything else has in navigating this new era, this new understanding of where I’m at,” she said in a press release “I guess it’s about becoming a woman.”

Beabadoobee has been hard at work since she was 17. Her career beginning at a low point in her life, beabadoobee began making music after getting expelled from school due to failing grades and “misfit behavior.” Her father bought her a second-hand, 6-string guitar in hopes of lifting her spirits, and she began to teach herself how to play using YouTube tutorials. Soon after, she began uploading videos of her playing, mainly for her friends to see–that is until “Coffee.”

“Coffee” is beabadoobee’s first claim to fame and was uploaded onto YouTube in 2017. The song gained immediate virality after its release, then went viral for a second time in 2020 after being sampled on “death bed (coffee for your head)” by Canadian rapper Powfu. “Coffee” is a sweet ballad that showcases her unique vocals and bedroom-pop sound that she became known for in the years that followed.

Since “Coffee,” beabadoobee has released four albums, two live albums, 3 EPs, several singles, and is still going to this day. Her debut album, “Fake It Flowers,” follows the pop, grunge-inspired sound that made “Coffee” go viral. Tracks such as “Dye It Red,” “Care,” and “Yoshimi, Forest, Magdalene” feature heavy instrumentals, passion, and quite a bit of teenage angst, which is unsurprising considering beabadoobee was a teenager while making it.

But, beabadoobee did something all teenagers have to eventually–she grew up. This growth involved pulling away from the music she made in her youth, experimenting with new sounds, and evolving into something more fitting. Her latest album “Beatopia” allowed her to force herself out of the 2020-fuzzy-pop box that she was rapidly being shoved into. 

“I think with Beatopia I had more freedom because it felt like no one was going to listen to the record after lockdown,” she explained to Triple J Magazine. “I’m making this record for myself and {my producer} Jacob, let’s make anything we want. And we did.”

“This Is How Tomorrow Moves” is set to come out on Aug 16 of this year.  As she grows, her audience has the opportunity to both grow alongside her and watch her growth through her music. The album as a whole will be about introspection, self-acceptance, and overall growing into the person you want to be, taking inspiration from powerhouses such as Fiona Apple and Pinegrove. You can presave “This Is How Tomorrow Moves” here.

View Comments (1)
$840
$1000