The jorts effect

Jorts+seem+to+be+coming+back+in+style.+Graphic+by+Maya+Fu.+
Jorts seem to be coming back in style. Graphic by Maya Fu.

What are jorts? Let’s unpack it. When I think of jorts, I think of oversized jeans cut in half. They are shorts that assimilate the “Adam Sandler” look. Why might someone like or dislike jorts? Preference comes into play here, maybe someone who prefers a more feminine look might not enjoy wearing jorts. From an athletic style standpoint, jorts aren’t as appealing, compared to someone who enjoys more of a street style. 

Do jorts even matter? Let me explain, I believe style is a way for people to express themselves. Realistically, people can’t control too much about their appearance. Features, skin color, and body are pretty unchangeable. How do we perceive people then? Most likely, by how they dress, how their hair looks, and what color they paint their nails. External factors are ways that people express themselves visually rather than connotatively.

The use of style is common in teens, they’re trying to balance finding themselves and fitting in, and clothes can be a way for them to do that. When walking down the halls of Huron, I’m constantly surprised by all the different styles and creative outfits people create. Huron is very diverse and by simply walking down the hall during passing time almost every style imaginable can be seen. The environment makes me more inclined to express myself by wearing the clothes I want. Rather than feeling the need to wear a specific style, the variety of clothes and styles allows me to feel okay wearing what I want to whether it fits a standard or not. I don’t think there are standards for how to dress at Huron, everyone wears what they want. 

Let’s connect this back to jorts. When I wear jorts, I may feel afraid that people will judge me and say they’re too baggy or too long or whatever it may be. But wearing jorts is the way that I express my appreciation for street style, how I aspire to have a vintage aesthetic, and how I find joy in wearing clothes 3 sizes too big for me. By going out of my comfort zone to wear jorts, I know there will be other people at Huron who feel the same way, and that I can see them walking down the hallway and connect with them without the use of words.