Ethan Ku wins the Kelsey’s Law Distracted Driving Awareness Scholarship

Senior+Ethan+Ku+poses+with+his+car.+Photo+courtesy+of+Ku.+
Senior Ethan Ku poses with his car. Photo courtesy of Ku.

The Kelsey’s Law Distracted Driving Awareness Scholarship was created by Michigan Auto Law, the largest Michigan law firm dedicated to helping auto accident victims, with the purpose of preventing tragic cell-phone related automobile crashes. Their initiative began nine years ago to honor 17-year old Kelsey Raffaele of Sault St. Marie, who lost her life as a result of one of these accidents. 

This year, Michigan Auto Law collaborated with The Kiefer Foundation, an organization with this shared passion and dedication to protecting the lives of teen drivers, inspired by Michigan State University freshman Mitchell Kiefer, who’s life was taken as a result of a young distracted driver crashing into his car. Together, these organizations worked to award 8 winners with a total of $10,000 in scholarship funds. 

These scholarships were awarded to Michigan high school juniors and seniors who submitted a message in the form of a video, graphic, or Tweet (X Post), persuading people to stop distracted driving, specifically in terms of cell phone usage.

Senior Ethan Ku was one of the 2024 Winners of the Kelsey’s Law Distracted Driving Scholarship. He was awarded with a $500 for best tweet (X Post) submission, with his post stating, “Don’t check the reel behind the wheel.”

“I was inspired to get involved because I wanted to raise more awareness about distracted driving, especially in students the same age as me, who are especially susceptible to such tendencies,” Ku said. 

To see the works of other 2024 winners click here and to learn how to apply for the 2025 scholarship click here

“Winning this scholarship to me means that I have made an impact, however small, in preventing distracted driving and its consequences, through my own voice,” Ku said. “The initiative is one that is not targeted towards profit, and only hopes to prevent young students like me from unnecessary risk through distracted driving.”