Chantelle Franklin: Huron’s Girls Group Representative

Girls+Group+representative+here+at+Huron+High+School%2C+starting+from+the+first+week+of+school%2C+she+has+been+looking+to+recruit+members+and+expand+people%E2%80%99s+awareness+for+their+program+during+times%3A+early+and+late+lunch.+
Girls Group representative here at Huron High School, starting from the first week of school, she has been looking to recruit members and expand people’s awareness for their program during times: early and late lunch.

Chantelle Franklin is the 12th-grade program coordinator in her position with Girls Group. She is 21 years old and attends Eastern State University. Girls Group staff are at the high schools, Huron, Pioneer, Skyline, and Pathways. She is currently recruiting members before the program begins in October at Huron. The program will be on Tuesdays from 3-5 p.m. at their building called The News Center where transportation will be provided. 

This is Franklin’s first year doing something like this at a school for the Girls Group program outside of Summer Girls Group 2023.

“I guess my biggest thing that I want to achieve is to get to know people to create connections, and to have a successful program with you guys,” Franklin said. “That’s what I want to achieve.”

Franklin talks about her views on Girls Group, her reasoning on having joined, and how she’s here for the better of mentees. 

“The main reason why I joined Girls Group is that I knew from my interviews I knew from going on their website and talking to other now co-workers but before staff members that about the participants that we’ve worked with and creating those bonds and making sure that there is a safe space for everyone,” Frankin said. “Whether that’s someone who, you know, is going through a hard time at home, someone who is struggling with their sexuality or is trying to figure it out. we’re all about learning from you all about your experiences and how they affect your everyday life. And having those hard conversations about race and how that affects you, economic struggles, with money, finances, about how your identity affects you throughout your day, throughout your life. Talking about that head-on, and also making sure that we are aware of it. So when we go into spaces with you. We’re not you know, for lack of better word ignorant or stepping out of place. That was another big thing that drew me to Girls Group and why appreciate being here.”

The difference between summer Girls Group and the school version of Girls Group.

“It’s summertime so we do a lot more fun things, we have more time to take you guys to museums and to gardens,” Franklin said. “It’s more focused on social emotional, so dealing with building relationships between you and other participants, giving you new experiences and taking you different places. Where as during the school year, we’re more focused on academics, you know, what’s going on with you during school, helping you figure out your pathway, career and college wise, head on. So that’s dealing with things your college application or making sure you’re taking the right steps towards submitting your things for college or making sure you’re in the right position to go ahead and take that job offer or go ahead and start the interview process. Things like that is more what we focus on during the school year.”

Confusion may rise with the name Girls Group, though its known for being a non-profit organization what is being asked is, who is the program is for exactly.

“At girls group, we serve disadvantaged youth that are all races, but we are predominantly black and brown populations that are women or non gender conforming individuals and also either those who are disabled or have a disability,” Franklin said. 

There are many benefits to joining Girls Group as their goals are clear. Joining Chantelle’s program for this year is an option, one many others are also taking as she expands her connections with the students at Huron High School.