Laila Azad – Staying Connected to her Roots

Azad+%28left%29+in+cultural+clothing.+Photo+courtesy+of+Azad.+
Azad (left) in cultural clothing. Photo courtesy of Azad.

Exemplifying the beauty of diversity within our community is junior Laila Azad. Although Azad is American-born, her deep pride in her culture and commitment to her Afghan heritage is evident, stemming from that of her immigrant parents. 

“Between foods, clothing, and other practices, my family has taught me a lot about what it means to be Afghan,” Azad said.

Azad has managed to stay very connected with her Afghan culture, and her enthusiasm about it continues to grow.

“I make it a priority to stay connected to my Afghan roots because it is such a big part of my identity and who I am,” Azad said. “One of my favorite things that my family and I do together is cook various Afghan dishes. Specifically, my favorite food is Mantu.”

Mantu is a traditional Afghan dumpling that is usually filled with beef or lamb mixed in onions and spices. 

Additionally, Azad’s commitment to her religion is just as strong. As a Muslim, her religion is very evident in her life through daily prayers, the celebration of Eid and Ramadan, and various other practices and beliefs. 

For Muslims, Ramadan is a period of fasting, and Eid al-Fitr marks the end of this fast. This also generally involves large festivals, parties, and celebrations, gift giving, and the reunion of families and friends. 

“I love Eid because it feels special to be celebrating with my community and it makes me feel more important as a Muslim,” Azad said. “My favorite part about celebrating it is spending time with all of my people and all of us coming together with love.” 

Despite the increasing diversity in our community, cultural oppression and ignorance still remains everywhere. 

“I have had people make offensive jokes, or just completely misunderstand everything that my culture stands for,” Azad said. “ I see it as a lack of knowledge and awareness, rather than blatant discrimination.” 

Azad looks towards the future with optimism and determination, as she hopes to bridge the gap between cultures, and advocate for diversity and inclusion. 

“I want to make a positive impact on our society, using my voice and my experiences,” Azad said.