Sophomore Saturday: Sawako Sakamoto

Sophomore Sawako Sakamoto (middle) with her teammates on the Huron High School swim team.

Courtesy of Sakamoto

Anna Esper, Staff Writer

Q: Tell us a little bit about yourself and what hobbies/sports you do.

A: “I like to swim and hangout with my friends in downtown Ann Arbor. My favorite food is Baozi/nikuman for obvious reasons, also Mango Yakult and boba. My favorite characters are Chopper, Kirby, and Ghibli Studios. I also like going to this one bookstore called Booksweet that is next to Coco the boba shop.” 

Q: After spending a year with classmates virtually, what’s it been like to finally see people in person? 

A: “I think it was easier to learn from the teacher because of being in the classroom. Being able to talk with classmates is easier.”

Q: Who helped you the most in getting through last year and why? 

A: “Definitely my friends at swim practice like Morgan Mathis and Jasmine Xu because it was easy to talk to them and they made swim practice fun.”

Q: Describe something about coming back to school in person that has surprised you?

A: “We still have to do some schoolwork on computers which wasn’t so unexpected, but it atleast makes things easier to do homework and writing on. Nothing coming back to school was really unexpected or surprising. I’m just glad that the school lunch is still free.”

Q: Which of your classes are you most excited for and why?

A: “I definitely like sports med because I want to do something circulating that field when I’m older and I’m also excited for ceramic next semester because I like art involving making things.”

Q: What are your thoughts about your personal project? When do you think you’ll get started on your work?

A: “Personal project was more fun starting it out, because you had more ideas of what you wanted to do, but once you started it, it kind of got boring with the amount of writing and the time flying by so fast. I am on one of the final products now and it’s kind of ugly I’m not gonna lie, but I just want to finish it as soon as possible.”

Q: If you could change one thing from your freshman self, what would it be? 

A: “Getting more sleep during school days because it affected my school work and with the amount of time spent looking at a screen on and off of school, it wasn’t really good for my health.”