Junior Jumpstart Monday: Kelly Park

Junior+Kelly+Park+enjoying+herself+on+a+trip+to+Chicago.+

Courtesy of Park.

Junior Kelly Park enjoying herself on a trip to Chicago.

Sandra Fu, Staff Writer

Q: Tell us a little bit about yourself and what hobbies/sports you do.

A: Alright, so my name is Kelly Park, I’m a junior here in high school, I recently moved here from Texas, so this is my first year at Huron. I’ve been in band for quite a while. I play saxophone, oboe, and I joined crew very late but it’s been very fun, and I really like it and I’m planning to join APEX as well, which is fun. Well, it sounds fun, but I still don’t really know what I’m getting into yet. I really like doing art as well. That’s a big thing I do actually.”

Q: What is one class/club you would recommend to underclassmen? Why?

A: Well it’s a little hard to say. Yeah, I know there’s a good thing is about, Huron compared to my old school is that clubs are very easy to join and they’re very welcoming [towards] you, I guess you don’t have to go to every single meeting but you still are encouraged to go, everyone wants you there, it’s nice and supportive. I remember at my old school we had to pay fees. Clubs were kind of cringe, you would only join them if it was your friend group, and you can’t really get to join them [if you weren’t in said group]. So yeah, I’m going to join APEX. APEX sounds pretty fun because it’s a cultural thing but also you learn something unique. I’ve never really seen that around, like the glowsticking, yo-yo, all that stuff. And I guess there’s also dancing for people that want to do that but that’s not a me thing. I know I would recommend APEX. There’s also bowls like Ocean Bowl and Ethics Bowl. They sound fun, but it’s also not a me thing.”

Q: What’s an interesting/unique fact about yourself?

A: I like to stream on Twitch and stuff, shameless plug (twitch.tv/hyekori !!!), but you know, I’m not really famous yet, but that’s the goal. I find it really fun talking to people while playing games. I really like playing video games. At the beginning of quarantine I was super bad, I was terrible. But I’ve gotten a lot better. I somehow bought a keyboard, and then I ended up buying a mic and then I bought all these different things and started streaming. I really liked playing video games, so it became a part of me.”

Q: Where do you see yourself in ten years?

A: Okay, I’m gonna be probably out of school starting out finding a job. I really want to work at a fun company like Google. It’s an ambitious thing to do, but I want to live in Silicon Valley. I want to live in California or New Jersey or a city with a lot of diversity, lots of fun things to do and good weather maybe. Hopefully I will be still pursuing art, as a hobby, just digitally drawing on the side.”

Q: Describe your high school experience in three words.

A: Finding your self.”

Q: Who is your idol and why?

A: I guess Catherine [Li]. We’re really good friends. I mean, hopefully we are. She does so many activities but she’s still committed to being really social, being really involved in people’s lives and she wants to be super successful not because someone told her to. She has what it takes to [be successful], so I really want to be like her because we also have a lot in common, just like little things, so maybe I could be like that, something like that. Like a shining beacon of light, to her students and peers.”

Q: What is one lesson high school has taught you?

A: Things can change very easily. You can’t plan anything. It’s nice expecting something nice, to have something in mind. But even if you’re manifesting your perfect future, something might happen.”