Standardized testing rescheduled

Ridhima L. Kodali

Students will remain asynchronous on April 22 and April 23, as teachers go back. Freshmen orientation will also take place those two days

Ridhima L. Kodali, Opinion Editor

Administrators Janet Schwamb and Salvador Barrientes released a communication today about standardized testing being rescheduled. 

Standardized testing is now taking place on the week of April 26, the same week hybrid learning is set to start. 

“While there are alternative testing dates in May, we are choosing to administer these tests during the week of 4/26 so we do not disrupt any school days in the month of May,” Administrators communicated in an email. “This will allow students and staff to find a consistent, uninterrupted rhythm in the hybrid schedule for the month. As well, the alternative dates for testing, specifically the SAT, conflict with the AP testing window.”

The schedule is as follows:

On April 27, juniors will be taking the SAT (with essay) from 8:20 a.m. to 1:45 p.m. On April 28, sophomores will be taking the PSAT from 8:20 a.m. to 11:35 p.m. Freshmen will be taking the PSAT on April 29 from 8:20 a.m.  to 11:35 p.m.  On these days, students will be asynchronous. 

“We encourage all students in the Class of 2022 to take the SAT administered without cost to students by the State of Michigan, as well as the other tests – ACT WorkKeys, M-STEP – being administered during the week of April 26,” Administrative members said.  “We also encourage all students in the Class of 2023 and Class of 2024 to take the PSAT. In response to questions related to these tests being ‘required’, it is important that students consider how these tests factor into the preparation for their post-secondary plans.”

Additionally, ACT WorkKeys will be administered on April 28, as well, from 8:20 a.m. to 12:05 p.m. 

We are awaiting information from the Michigan Department of Education about the option to offer the SAT to the Class of 2022 on both 4/27 and the alternate day in May (18th),” Administrators wrote. “If allowed, we will create that option for students who may need the flexibility.” 

Before coming to school on the day of testing, all students (and staff) are required to complete the Ann Arbor Public Schools COVID-19 prescreening tool.

There will be hand sanitizer stations in classrooms and testing sessions and PPE (masks and gloves) will be provided if needed. 

As for arriving, students should be dropped off at 8:10 a.m. Not earlier than that and picked up at least 10 minutes after the end of the test. Students should enter through the doors under the arch — the auditorium side. From there, they will be directed to their designated testing room.

Transportation will be provided to students who live 1.5 miles from Huron and in-district and school of choice students are not eligible for bus transportation.  

Students will also need to bring a water bottle and students are not encouraged to bring cell phones, as they are not permitted in testing rooms. If a cell phone is brought in, it will be held by the testing staff, until the test is completed. If students have any specific questions regarding their accommodations, they may call their counselor or case manager. 

Given the rescheduling of the tests,  students should complete the 20/21 Testing Spring Student Survey, by Wednesday, April 14. Filling out the form will help ensure all safety guidelines are followed and the goal for all testing sessions is to be limited to no more than 15 students.