As COVID cases increase, AAPS calls for changes in schedule including the postponement of hybrid in-school learning return

Sara-Beth Badalamente

For the past few weeks, teachers have been granted access to start working in their classrooms. Room 4203 has been set up for in-person learning.

Allison Mi, Copy Editor

On April 6, Superintendent Jeanice Swift released an update about hybrid in-person learning, announcing that middle and high school students who choose hybrid in-school learning will return on April 26, instead of the originally planned date of April 19.

Due to the postponement of the start of hybrid in-school learning, Thursday and Friday (April 8 and 9) will be synchronous school days. In addition, the freshman orientation dates will also be postponed.

This is all as a result of the rise of COVID cases in Washtenaw County.

“At this time, concern about potential post-spring break impact, as well as an increased prevalence of COVID infection rates among younger individuals, present added concern,” Swift wrote in a newsletter.

The large number of new cases in Washtenaw County, currently at 246.3 million cases, places it at Level E, the highest risk category based on the MI Safe Start Map, and at the “High” transmission within the CDC risk levels for operating schools.

As of now, the other adjustments to the return to in-school hybrid learning will be for fourth and fifth grade students; they will return on April 19. For third graders and below in the AAPS system, the return date will be as planned. As of now, there is no additional news about testing for high schoolers.

To guarantee additional precautionary measures in the school reopening process, AAPS will update information about rapid antigen testing available for its students and staff. They also encourage parents of students 16 and older, and everyone in the community, to receive the COVID vaccination as soon as they can.

“We hope in the coming days of April to achieve stabilization and a decrease in COVID cases and to vigorously continue the vaccination process among all in our community so that we can safely continue with the spring AAPS reopening plan,” Swift said.

Click the link for information on vaccinations in Michigan.