AAPS releases highly-awaited hybrid schedule

Students+will+tentatively+return+to+school+April+19.+Here+is+the+schedule+the+AAPS+Board+of+Education+provided.+%0ACohort+1++will+attend+in-person+on+Mondays+and+Tuesdays.+Cohort+2+will+attend+in-person+on+Thursdays+and+Fridays.+

Courtesy of Ann Arbor Public Schools

Students will tentatively return to school April 19. Here is the schedule the AAPS Board of Education provided. Cohort 1 will attend in-person on Mondays and Tuesdays. Cohort 2 will attend in-person on Thursdays and Fridays.

Ridhima Kodali, Opinion Editor

Ann Arbor Public Schools Board of Education provided an overview of the hybrid-learning schedule. 

Students who choose the hybrid option will tentatively return to school on April 19. As previously discussed, the learning plan will be split into two cohorts: Cohort 1 and Cohort 2. Cohorts will be based on the first letter of last name.

*Cohort division is subject to change based on the school’s population

On Mondays and Tuesdays, Cohort 1 will attend in-person for (in the morning), while Cohort 2 will be remote. These blocks will be split, students will have the same block twice a day.  In the morning, each block is 1 hour and five minutes. After, Cohort 1 students will then go home for lunch, (lunches will be provided for those in need,  as they exit the building — no paperwork or ID is needed) and join Cohort 2 — to finish each of  their blocks in 30 minute sessions (remotely).  40 minute advisory classes will be maintained on the same current weekly advisory schedule. 

Students in self-contained programs are in-person all day and those who plan to remain fully virtual, will have their daily instruction take place in much the same way. Classes are streamed to those who are joining remotely, including those who opt to remain fully virtual. 

On Thursdays and Fridays Cohort 2 will attend in-person classes while Cohort 1 will be remote. 

“[We] hope, with this more balanced schedule we will be able to bring back students who are in need of face to face contact,” Superintendent Jeanice Swift said.  

In addition,  the district hopes to provide graduating seniors with a graduation at Eastern Michigan University, and yard signs will be provided to each student of the Class of 2021. 

“Our goal is to honor the choice and the preference of each unique student and family situation and to support our families and our students,” Swift said. 

Stay tuned for more updates and information about hybrid learning.