Spreading kits and raising money: How Huron GIDAS is fighting COVID-19

NurseTogether/Wikimedia Commons

Coming off the miRcore Genes and Health Contest, GIDAS members are fundraising for a microgrant, and are offering COVID-19 relief kits to donators.

Amy Xiu, Staff Writer

The GIDAS (Genes in Disease and Symptoms) club is hosting a fundraiser to raise money for a microgrant, where, for a minimum donation of $5 they are sending COVID kits out directly to houses, which include face masks, gloves and hand sanitizer. Donators can either keep the kit or give it to the COVID-19 relief fundraiser.

Huron GIDAS is a part of miRcore, a medical research nonprofit organization. GIDAS meets every other Monday from 4:30-5 p.m. through Zoom. They are still accepting members. Students can learn about genetics and also have the opportunity to conduct research on their own on a disease of focus. 

The student leaders are Niharica Suri Kannan, Divija Chandupatla, Ruben Pawar, Aarush Goel, Andrew Ye, Ezgi Poyraz, Felicia Sang, Sasha Lee and the club is advised by Martha Hale. 

“It’s fun because it’s biology-related and you get to actually apply some knowledge based on the disease of focus,” Ye said.

Club members recently competed in the Genes and Health Contest at miRcore. They are also preparing for the annual conference by writing abstracts. For more information, go to the Huron GIDAS website or @hurongidas on Instagram.