Huron Football Week 1 Observations: Penalties Heavily Fault Rats

Zachary Phelps, Staff Writer

The Huron varsity football team opened up its season with an embarrassing 32-2 defeat at the hands of the Lapeer Lighting on Friday night.  Bright spots were few and far between for the River Rats in the blowout loss in the Battle at the Big House.

-Penalties and turnovers wreak havoc on Huron as mistakes pile up

The biggest culprit for the loss for the Rats was their own mistakes.  In the first quarter alone Huron committed 10 penalties for a total of over 70 yards.  Including multiple offsides penalties on 3rd downs and a holding call to bring back a 25-yard Donel Green run when the Rats were already deep in their own territory.  By the end of the first half, Huron had totaled 13 penalties for nearly 100 total yards.  These penalties along with turnovers doomed the River Rats.  Two first-half turnovers, an underthrown interception, and muffed punt coupled with an interception on the first play of the second half that led to a Lapeer touchdown eliminated any hope of a comeback.  The lack of discipline is what is most concerning about these mistakes.  Way too many poor penalties in crucial 3rd and 4th down situations to give away 1st downs.  These miscues are something that can and should be cleaned up, but it will need to happen on short notice or similarly disappointing results will take place for the River Rats.

-Despite only playing less than one half, Senior defensive lineman Bruce Williams proves he’s an absolute game wrecker.

Williams was one of, if not the only bright spot for Huron in the loss.  The senior made the Lapeer backfield his home in the limited snaps he played.  His best plays of the night included heavy pressure on a 3rd & 16, hitting the Lapeer quarterback as he threw.  And again hitting the Lapeer quarterback as he threw, forcing a fumble (recovered by Lapeer) early in the second quarter.  Williams thrives in one-on-one situations rushing the passer.  His combination of size, strength and speed is elite and he should command a double team on every single snap.  Williams gets after the quarterback like no one else on Huron’s defensive line, yet also stops the run reasonably well.  No matter where the ball goes, don’t be surprised if #55 is near it.  If it isn’t on the ground anyway.

-River Rats play Quarterback roulette, to no success whatsoever as the offense struggles mightily

After losing Senior quarterback Anthony Pinnance, the position was a question mark coming into the season.  And after the first game, it is still a question mark.  Huron used 4 different quarterbacks throughout the game, with none of them being able to get anything going on offense.  Junior Andrew Harding started and played the entire first half.  Junior Dyson Sims, Sophomore Ladanian Woods, and Senior Aravind Krishnan split snaps in the second half, with Sims playing the most of the three.  Harding had the best day of the four, but no signal caller played particularly well.  The Huron offense mustered 0 points, didn’t make a single trip to the red zone, and only ran a handful of plays inside Lapeer territory.  No one on the offense was clicking from the first snap.  There were a few nice plays, but overall not nearly enough to string together meaningful drives.  Senior running back Donel Green got the bulk of the carries, and had a solid game.  He needs improvement in the pass catching department, but Green could be the key to unlock the River Rat offense.  Getting him the ball in screen or swing passes in the flat is an easy way to get some instant offense for a unit that desperately needs it.  Heading into week two, it’s fair to assume Harding will be the starting quarterback and play a bulk of the snaps.  The offense needs to be better if Huron wants any chance at achieving its state championship goals.

This was an exceedingly disappointing week one performance from a Huron program coming off its best season in a decade.  Coach Mack & company need to find a solution quickly, with a week two matchup against Saline looming.  Saline was one of the two teams the rats lost to last season, and if the penalties along with the lack of offensive production aren’t fixed, Huron will match its loss total from last season in as many games.