Teacher Tuesday: Emily Herzog

Mrs.+Herzog+with+her+rescue+pit+bull+Puff.+

Courtesy of Herzog

Mrs. Herzog with her rescue pit bull Puff.

Visruth Rajendiran, Staff Writer

Q: Tell us a little bit about yourself and what hobbies/sports you do.

A: “Hi! I’m Emily Herzog – I go by Ms. H or Mrs. Herzog – and my pronouns are she/her/hers. I grew up in Livonia/Northville, then went to UM-Ann Arbor where I studied Psychology and Sociology. My husband Josh and I met at UM and have been married for 6 years now. We just moved back from Madison, Wisconsin, where Josh was pursuing his Ph.D. in engineering. Now that we’re back home, we enjoy spending time with our family, eating out, and going on walks with our new dog. I also enjoy yoga and volleyball.”

Q: What do you teach and why?

A: “I work in the College and Career Center as an advisor for students as they explore careers, choose colleges, apply to college, find scholarships, and more. I used to work in college admissions and for a college readiness program when I lived in Madison, so this felt like the perfect next step. I love getting to know students and providing the space for them to feel supported in a process that can often feel very lonely and overwhelming.”

Q: Have you always been interested in teaching?

A: “I always knew I wanted a career that would allow me to directly support the well-being of others. I found my way to education naturally after interning in the Office of Undergraduate Admissions at UM-Ann Arbor. I appreciate the strong sense of community that comes with working in schools. Plus the students are amazing. High schoolers are fun, goofy, and kind, and they bring me such joy.”

Q: What/who inspired you to become a teacher?

A: “The college admissions process is wrought with inequity, and while it seems to be improving in some ways, I worry that’s just an illusion. I firmly believe that education is a right, not a privilege. I want to be part of the change that eradicates the opportunity gap in our community. There’s tremendous challenge, joy, and inspiration to be found in this work, which has kept me coming back every day.”

Q: What do you do in your free time?

A: “I just got a new dog so I’ve been spending a lot of time caring for her. Her name is Puff, and she’s a 5-year-old rescue pit bull. She’s a total sweetie pie and needs lots of attention. Otherwise, yoga, going for walks/hikes, spending time with family, and watching my favorite TV shows with a big bowl of popcorn.”

Q: What is one motto you will always live by?

A: “Protect your joy”

Q: What is your favorite teaching moment?

A: “So far at Huron, my favorite moments have been seeing students helping each other. Even though the college application process is competitive, students are so eager and willing to support each other with their applications. I love to see that because it’s absolutely true that success doesn’t happen alone – and it feels much better when you have someone to celebrate with you.”