Potential gas leak at Huron causes staff and students to evacuate the building after school

Ridhima L. Kodali, Managing Editor

Today, Oct. 26,  at 3:20 p.m. Huron High School staff and students were evacuated from the building as a precautionary measure when a Huron staff member smelled gas near the 6200 hallway.

It was later known that DTE (A Detroit energy company) was conducting a — scheduled — regulator replacement and students were able to go back into the building at around 3:46 p.m. resuming their after-school activities. 

The safety of your child and all children in our schools, as well as the safety of the school staff and support personnel is very important to us,” the Huron administration team wrote in a communication sent at 5:19 p.m.

Sophomore Vanya Krishna took an English exam after school and attended a mock trial for just about five minutes before the evacuation. 

“It was a bit of whiplash,” Krishna said. “I didn’t really have time to understand anything.  I wondered if they evacuated everybody and if the leak was extensive enough that they would cancel school.”

Click to watch DTE Vehicles leave Huron High School