“Good Days” left me feeling vulnerable, yet hopeful

Kevin Winter/Getty Images for Coachella/TNS

SZA and Kendrick Lamar perform onstage during the 2018 Coachella Valley Music And Arts Festival at the Empire Polo Field on April 13, 2018 in Indio, California.

Julie Park, Design Editor

“Good day in my mind, safe to take a step out/Get some air now, let your edge out.”

These are the opening lines of R&B music artist SZA’s new hit single “Good Days.” The song is ranked on the “Billboard Hot 100” chart and has gone viral on TikTok. 

“Good days is a reminder that we’re all struggling to find and feel a connection,” SZA wrote in a comment under a fan’s Youtube video. “To believe everyday has the tiniest possibility to be better than the last is what it’s all about. Possibility!”

I think a lot of us can relate to SZA in a way that we are struggling and not everyday is a good day. For many students, it has been especially difficult to have good days because of the pressures of high school, lack of connection through virtual school and with everything going on around the world. 

“There’s a lot going on with my home life and school has been really stressful,” senior Matthew Ye said. “Listening to the song is therapeutic, and it has helped me get through everyday. I could listen to the song on repeat and not get sick of it.”

With each note she sings, SZA has a special ability to make her audience feel vulnerable- and I think that’s really important in music. Sometimes, listeners look for a catchy chorus or groovy beat in a song, but there are times when people want to listen to music that they are able to relate to on a deeper level. “Good days” is one of those songs.

Overall, I absolutely love SZA’s new single and it gives me hope for better days.