Freshman Friday: Srinithya Chiravuri

Anita Gaenko, Staff Writer

Q: Tell us a little bit about yourself.

A: “My name is Srinithya Chiravuri (Sree-nith-ya). I’m currently 14 years old. I’ve been doing classical Indian dance for almost 10 years now and love pop culture. I also play the cello and enjoy drawing as well as organizing.”

Q: What has been your favorite part about this school year so far?

A: “My favorite part of school so far has definitely been the extra time I get to spend on each class, which sounds super boring, but I like to think of it as an extra opportunity to try and study. Because we only have three classes a day, I am able to dedicate that day to reviewing materials surrounding those classes as well as have extra time for other things after that.”

Q: What do you miss about in-person school, other than seeing your friends?

A: “One thing I missed about in-person school was the accessibility for help almost everywhere. If I even looked the slightest bit distressed during a class, one of my peers or teachers would ask me if I was confused, but that was lost when online school started. I did have my camera on, but that period of courage lasted for a very short amount of time. Not just because I got self-conscious, it was more that if I looked like I was struggling, I would hold up the entire class and make them fit my needs and I felt guilty.”

Q: What is one goal you have for this year?

A: “I want to know how to do everything I am taught with such accuracy that I can help my peers, so if they get confused, I would be able to help them, just like how so many of my classmates helped me last year.”

Q: What is your favorite class and why?

A: “I love all my classes, but I’d pick Spanish. My teacher, Mrs. Wroblewski, is just amazing. She is able to get my understanding of an intimidatingly long list of vocabulary so soundproof that I am able to memorize the words and their meanings within just one class period. I had never had a teacher as cool as her. She does a great job of balancing, and your grade really reflects your effort.”

Q: What hobbies/sports do you do?

A: “I have been doing classical Indian dance for almost 10 years now! To be a little more specific, classical Indian dance, or Bharatanatyam, has been something almost my entire family has been a part of, whether it be my mom and sister dancing or my brothers being forced to watch us dance. It has been a pretty large part of my life since I was almost 5. My amazing mentor and teacher is the most caring and attentive person I know.”

Q: What is one silver lining of the pandemic and how it’s affected life?

A: “I was fortunate enough to not have been affected by a majority of the common struggles many have during this time. Honestly, there were so many silver linings. I felt bad being this happy during the summer. I have gotten much closer with a few friends since the beginning of the pandemic, which has been really nice, especially because those friends are so supportive. I also had time to reorganize my room…again, if you know me, you would know I organize when I’m stressed or anxious, so the therapeutic action of cleaning has been great.”