The Emery

The Emery

The Emery

The Latest from the Emery’s Twitter

Freshman Friday: Charles Cools

Cools in 3rd hour German
Cools in 3rd hour German

Q: Tell us a little bit about yourself and what hobbies/sports you do.

A: “Yeah, I run cross country. And that’s really fun, I do that every day after school. My hobbies are playing video games. Also I really like cars. I really like design and creating stuff as well. 

Q: How would you describe your transition from middle to high school?

A: “It was a lot smoother than I thought it would be. I was expecting it to be really crazy. Especially because I came from a small private school in Ypsilanti, MI that is called Huron Valley. I came here from a school that was k-8 with 270 students in total. This school has 1700 students for just four years. I was expecting that it’d be pretty crazy but I’m actually enjoying it. It’s really smooth.”

Q: What class is the most interesting so far and why?

A: “I really like biology. I mean, biology is a part of science that I understand easily, and I really like science. But the teacher is also really nice and teaches in a way I understand which is always nice. Another thing I like about biology is my table group, I think they are pretty awesome people.”

Q: What are 3 words to describe your first months of high school and why?

A: “I’d say surprising, unexpected, and calm. I’d say the first two because high school is less crazy than I thought. It surprised me that it was not at all what I expected. I said calm because at Huron Valley they piled up homework and there is much less here at Huron High School. ”

Q: How has high school surprised you so far? Were there any skills you had to learn to get work done or fit school into your schedule?

A: “A skill I have to learn is going to bed earlier. I’m always really tired nowadays. Other than that there is nothing that really surprised me other than how smooth things are going.”

Q: How do you want to remember your high school experience four years later? What are you doing now or how do you plan to make that happen? 

A: “I want to look back at high school and be able to say that I tried to get good grades. I also want to be able to work really hard at cross country. For the most part I just want to come out feeling good about myself even if that took a lot of work.”